Program Description and Appropriations History
The Child Care Grant program provides financial assistance to students who have children 12 and under, are not receiving assistance under the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), and who demonstrate financial need for grants, to help pay for child care while pursuing a postsecondary education.
Funds are allocated to eligible postsecondary institutions based on the number of students who report children on the financial aid application. Eligible institutions include all public colleges and universities, private baccalaureate degree-granting institutions and non-profit vocational technical schools granting associate degrees.
- meet state residency requirements.
- not be recipients of MFIP.
- be enrolled 1-12 credits or more per term (undergraduates) or 1-6 credits or more per term (graduate/professional).
- has not received child care grant funds for a period of ten semesters or the equivalent. Students who have withdrawn for active military service after December 31, 2002 are given an extra term of eligibility.
- be making satisfactory progress.
- not be receiving tuition reciprocity benefits from another state.
- be pursuing a nonsectarian program or course of study that applies to an undergraduate or graduate degree, diploma or certificate.
The award is based upon the EFC of the applicant and the number of eligible children within the family who need child care, and the applicant's level of enrollment.The maximum award amount is $6,500 per eligible child per academic year. The amount of the award cannot exceed 40 hours of child care per week per eligible child. The institution may increase the amount shown on the maximum award chart by 10 percent for infant care in certain counties.
Postsecondary Child Care Grant Training
- Child Care Grant Training [ .ppt 2.1 MB ]
- Recorded October 13, 2022 Webinar Postsecondary Child Care Grant
Child Care Grant Documents & Instructions
- 2022-2023 Award Calculation
- 2022-2023 EFC Range & Credit Level Enrollment Status Conversion
- 2022-2023 Conflicting Information
- 2022-2023 Award Notice
- 2022-2023 Denial Notice
- 2022-2023 Application & Instructions
- 2021-2022 Award Calculation
- 2021-2022 EFC Range & Credit Level Enrollment Status Conversion
- 2021-2022 Conflicting Information
- 2021-2022 Award Notice
- 2021-2022 Denial Notice
- 2021-2022 Application & Instructions
- Infant Care Adjustment
- Postsecondary Child Care Grant Program
- Provider Verification Template
- MFIP CCAP Verification Form
- DHS Maximum Provider Rates
- Accessing the Microsoft Excel file(s) on this page may require you to
download the free Excel Viewer from Microsoft
- Accessing the Microsoft Powerpoint file(s) on this page may require you to
download the free PowerPoint Viewer from Microsoft
- Accessing the Microsoft Word file(s) on this page may require you to
download the free Word Viewer from Microsoft