Certified Nursing Assistant Training
Be part of the next generation of vaccinated health care workers
After meeting our initial goal of recruiting and training 1,000 new nursing assistants, the Next Generation Nursing Assistant initiative has received additional funding and will be offering more free training throughout the state until February 2023.
Those who enroll in a course through this initiative will have the cost of their training, books, uniform, and certification exam covered. Once certified, nursing assistants can apply for positions at any hospital, long-term care facility, and veterans home in Minnesota.
Courses are available in a variety of formats, from in-person to hybrid to online. Check back often as we will update this page as new courses become available.
Find a Program
To register for free nursing assistant training, visit the Minnesota State website for open courses. This page is regularly updated as new courses are made available, so if you do not see a program that works for you, please check back.
Register to take your certification exam
If you received free training through this initiative, the next step is to take your certification exam. For anyone who received free training through this initiative, your certification exam fee will be provided at no cost to you.
Note: Top complete certification, you will need to take a skills test AND a knowledge test.
Find/sign up for your skills and knowledge tests:
Once certified, you will be able eligible for employment at any hospital, veterans homes, or long-term care facility in Minnesota.
- Free CNA training is open to all Minnesotans who are 16 or older and able to work in the United States.
- Each program/college may have their own enrollment requirements.
- Some training providers may require background checks.
- All employers will require background checks.
- Employers will require CNAs are up-to-date on their vaccinations, including the COVID-19 vaccination.
Progress toward meeting the 1,000 CNA goal:
(Student enrollment data as of 3/29/22)
- Total enrolled in free CNA training: 940 students
- Number enrolled through public training provider: 647 students
- Number enrolled through private training provider: 293 students
- Total Number of high school students enrolled in CNA Training: 338
- Number of high school students completing their training between January and March 2022: 139 students
- Number of high school students completing their training in May/June 2022: 199 students
Why did the State of Minnesota set this goal?
Good question! According to data from the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development, nursing assistants are the sixth highest in-demand job in the state. This need has only been exacerbated by the pandemic, and the current pipeline of students pursing a CNA credential is not poised to meet the demand.
To address this need, the Minnesota Office of Higher Education is convening a work group of state agencies, higher education institutions, and long-term care providers to implement the recruiting and training program. The initiative will offer resources and support to those pursuing a CNA credential from the first day of class to the first day on the job. This includes covering costs for tuition, fees, and materials. Additional investments will support transportation and technology needs for students.
The program will also provide up to 10 high schools with funds for lab equipment necessary to offer nursing assistant training classes on site. Information on how high schools can apply to be considered will be provided shortly. This website will be updated at that time.
The initiative is made possible through federal American Rescue Plan funds.
Member organizations of the workgroup include:
- Care Providers of Minnesota
- Leading Age MN
- Minnesota Department of Education
- Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development
- Minnesota Department of Health
- Minnesota Department of Human Services
- Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
- Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
- Minnesota Office of Higher Education
Read the initial press release from Governor Tim Walz announcing this initiative.
For questions about the initiative, contact CNAProgram.OHE@state.mn.us.
Download the Monitoring Report
Nursing Assistant Initiative Monitoring Report - Fiscal Year 2022
- Why College?
- Explore Your Interests & Careers
- Prepare at School
- Summer Academic Enrichment Program
- Earn College Credit in High School
- Recommended High School Classes & Graduation Requirements
- Advice for Students with Disabilities
- Succeed as an Adult Student
- Useful College Prep Resources
- Minnesota Goes to College!
- Get Ready Program Overview
- College Planning Presentation Information
- College Navigator Presentation Request Form
- Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program Outreach
- Competitive Grant Programs
- Dual Training Grant
- Public Engagement Calls
- "Life After Now" Podcast
- Certified Nursing Assistant Training
- Direct Admissions Minnesota
- Collecting Data from Minnesota Postsecondary Institutions
- Campus Financial Aid Administrator Resources
- Statewide Financial Aid Conference
- Campus Student Enrollment Reporting Resources
- Ordering Materials for Your Students
- Supplementing Your College Counseling
- Early Awareness Efforts
- Student Homelessness in Higher Education Resources
- Shared Library Resources
- MN FAFSA Tracker
- Campus Sexual Violence Prevention and Response
- Statewide FAFSA Filing Goal
- Financial Aid Estimator
- Online Applications
- About Financial Aid
- What Does College Cost?
- Tips for Lowering the Cost of Higher Education
- Institutional Payments
- Financial Aid You Don't Repay
- Financial Aid You Must Repay (Student Loans)
- Financial Aid You Earn
- Military Service Education Benefits
- Reduced Out-of-State Tuition Options
- Education Tax Benefits
- New Video Demystifies Paying for College
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Useful Online Resources
- Ready, Set, FAFSA!
- Data Maps and Infographics
- Educational Attainment Goal 2025
- Minnesota Measures
- Minnesota P-20 Statewide Longitudinal Education Data System
- College Readiness & Participation Data
- Student Enrollment Data
- Degrees, Graduation Rates, Attainment & Outcomes
- Financial Aid Data & Trends
- Tuition & Fees Data
- Student Health and Safety
- Institution and Data Search
- Transfer Students
- Research Reports
- A-Z Data Table Index