Financial Aid Data & Trends
The Office of Higher Education administers Minnesota's statewide financial aid programs and tuition reciprocity agreements with neighboring states.
These programs are an important part of overall funding for higher education in Minnesota. They assist students and families in paying the tuition and fees charged for postsecondary education.
Financial aid totaling $3.3 billion helps Minnesota students and families pay for postsecondary education, money that is provided by the state and federal governments, colleges, and private sources. Minnesota students receive $1.5 billion in grants and scholarships, $1.6 billion in loans and $48 million in work-study earnings.
Minnesota devotes most of its state-funded financial aid to students from low- and moderate-income families via several grants and scholarships:
- Minnesota State Grants, awarded to eligible Minnesota residents attending Minnesota postsecondary institutions as undergraduates
- Postsecondary Child Care Grants, which assist eligible students who need help paying the costs of child care
- Minnesota Indian Scholarships, awarded to eligible Minnesota students of American Indian ancestry
- Public Safety Officer's Survivor Grants, awarded to eligible survivors of safety officers killed in the line of duty
Additional student financial aid is available to Minnesota students through work and loans:
- The state subsidizes a number of work study programs at schools around the state.
- Minnesota also operates a state loan program, the Student Educational Loan Fund (SELF), for students and families who have exhausted or do not qualify for need-based aid.
Search financial aid awarded to undergraduates at individual institutions.
Find staff reports on student financial aid and data about Minnesota's student financing programs.
- Financial Aid Awarded to Undergraduates Attending Minnesota Institutions
- Minnesota Financial Aid Programs and Policy
- FAFSA filing trends of Minnesota students
- Loans, Debt & Net Price
- Financial Aid Data Resources
Related Information in Minnesota Measures
- Why College?
- Explore Your Interests & Careers
- Prepare at School
- Summer Academic Enrichment Program
- Earn College Credit in High School
- Recommended High School Classes & Graduation Requirements
- Advice for Students with Disabilities
- Succeed as an Adult Student
- Useful College Prep Resources
- Minnesota Goes to College!
- Get Ready Program Overview
- College Planning Presentation Information
- College Navigator Presentation Request Form
- Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program Outreach
- Competitive Grant Programs
- Dual Training Grant
- Public Engagement Calls
- "Life After Now" Podcast
- Certified Nursing Assistant Training
- Direct Admissions Minnesota
- Collecting Data from Minnesota Postsecondary Institutions
- Campus Financial Aid Administrator Resources
- Statewide Financial Aid Conference
- Campus Student Enrollment Reporting Resources
- Ordering Materials for Your Students
- Supplementing Your College Counseling
- Early Awareness Efforts
- Student Homelessness in Higher Education Resources
- Shared Library Resources
- MN FAFSA Tracker
- Campus Sexual Violence Prevention and Response
- Statewide FAFSA Filing Goal
- Financial Aid Estimator
- Online Applications
- About Financial Aid
- What Does College Cost?
- Tips for Lowering the Cost of Higher Education
- Institutional Payments
- Financial Aid You Don't Repay
- Financial Aid You Must Repay (Student Loans)
- Financial Aid You Earn
- Military Service Education Benefits
- Reduced Out-of-State Tuition Options
- Education Tax Benefits
- New Video Demystifies Paying for College
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Useful Online Resources
- Ready, Set, FAFSA!
- Data Maps and Infographics
- Educational Attainment Goal 2025
- Minnesota Measures
- Minnesota P-20 Statewide Longitudinal Education Data System
- College Readiness & Participation Data
- Student Enrollment Data
- Degrees, Graduation Rates, Attainment & Outcomes
- Financial Aid Data & Trends
- Tuition & Fees Data
- Student Health and Safety
- Institution and Data Search
- Transfer Students
- Research Reports
- A-Z Data Table Index