Shared Library Resources
The Office of Higher Education assists in the development of shared library resources. The agency oversees Minitex, a publicly supported network of academic, public, state government, and special libraries working cooperatively to improve library service for their users. In turn, Minitex supports the Minnesota Library Information Network (MnLINK), a statewide virtual library that electronically links the catalogs of the majority of Minnesota libraries.
Minitex is an information and resource sharing program of the Minnesota Office of Higher Education and the University of Minnesota Twin Cities libraries. Funded by the Minnesota Legislature through the Office of Higher Education, Minitex supports libraries serving higher education communities. Through contracts with the Minnesota Department of Education's State Library Services, Minitex also provides services for Minnesota public, school, and special libraries. Libraries in North Dakota and South Dakota participate in Minitex programs through contracts with the North and South Dakota State Libraries.
As a division of the University of Minnesota Libraries, Minitex programs contribute to the University's land grant mission and outreach programs for the citizens and communities in the state. More about Minitex.
Through the Minnesota Knows portal, Minnesotans have direct access to a suite of electronic information resources including:
- MnLINK Gateway - search library catalogs and make requests for library materials held in Minnesota libraries.
- Electronic Library for Minnesota (ELM) - search a wide variety of subscription databases (newspapers, electronic books, etc.) made available through legislative appropriations and statewide contracts.
- Minnesota Reflections - find photos, documents and maps related to Minnesota history.
- AskMN - ask reference questions online, 24 hours a day.
- Research Project Calculator - plan your homework assignments (a tool for middle & high school students).
The Minnesota Library Information Network (MnLINK) is a statewide virtual library electronically linking the online catalogs of Minnesota libraries' collections.
Funded since 1997, MnLINK Discovery lets Minnesotans search and request materials online from catalogs at over 20 Minnesota library systems. MnLINK participating libraries include the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, the University of Minnesota, Minnesota's public library systems, state government, private colleges, K-12 schools, and special libraries. By using a public library card barcode number Minnesotans can:
- Access the MnLINK Gateway from their library, home or office.
- Search multiple libraries and databases at once.
- Request materials for delivery.
- Search the Electronic Library for Minnesota (ELM) to view and download articles.
- Why College?
- Explore Your Interests & Careers
- Prepare at School
- Summer Academic Enrichment Program
- Earn College Credit in High School
- Recommended High School Classes & Graduation Requirements
- Advice for Students with Disabilities
- Succeed as an Adult Student
- Useful College Prep Resources
- Minnesota Goes to College!
- Get Ready Program Overview
- College Planning Presentation Information
- College Navigator Presentation Request Form
- Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program Outreach
- Competitive Grant Programs
- Dual Training Grant
- Public Engagement Calls
- "Life After Now" Podcast
- Certified Nursing Assistant Training
- Direct Admissions Minnesota
- Collecting Data from Minnesota Postsecondary Institutions
- Campus Financial Aid Administrator Resources
- Statewide Financial Aid Conference
- Campus Student Enrollment Reporting Resources
- Ordering Materials for Your Students
- Supplementing Your College Counseling
- Early Awareness Efforts
- Student Homelessness in Higher Education Resources
- Shared Library Resources
- MN FAFSA Tracker
- Campus Sexual Violence Prevention and Response
- Statewide FAFSA Filing Goal
- Financial Aid Estimator
- Online Applications
- About Financial Aid
- What Does College Cost?
- Tips for Lowering the Cost of Higher Education
- Institutional Payments
- Financial Aid You Don't Repay
- Financial Aid You Must Repay (Student Loans)
- Financial Aid You Earn
- Military Service Education Benefits
- Reduced Out-of-State Tuition Options
- Education Tax Benefits
- New Video Demystifies Paying for College
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Useful Online Resources
- Ready, Set, FAFSA!
- Data Maps and Infographics
- Educational Attainment Goal 2025
- Minnesota Measures
- Minnesota P-20 Statewide Longitudinal Education Data System
- College Readiness & Participation Data
- Student Enrollment Data
- Degrees, Graduation Rates, Attainment & Outcomes
- Financial Aid Data & Trends
- Tuition & Fees Data
- Student Health and Safety
- Institution and Data Search
- Transfer Students
- Research Reports
- A-Z Data Table Index