Planning for college and applying to college is the result of careful exploration and planning. The resources below can help you with each step of the process.
Investigate programs and majors. Narrow down your college search by talking to college representatives and taking virtual campus tours. Find a good fit based on your academic and personal goals.
College and Career Exploration resources:
- MyHigherEd College Search Tool
- Choosing a College
- Minnesota College Fairs
- Minnesota Career and Education Explorer.
- CAREERwise Education Minnesota State
- Ready Set Go MN
- Big Future College Board
- GPS LifePlan
- Log into Minnesota Career Information System (MCIS) if available at your school or library
- Log into Naviance Family Connection if available through your school
Get organized! Start gathering the documents you need to complete applications like your transcript, recommendation letters, personal statement and application fees (or fee waivers). Review your academic record and discuss your plans with your parents.
- High School Planning Checklists (Grades 9-12)
- Senior Information for Applications
- How to Get a Great Letter of Recommendation
- Teacher Recommendation Request
- Essay Writing Tips
- Other Essay Resources
- College Planning Workbook - You must have a Google account to open a copy of this workbook
- Comparing College Costs and Financial Aid Worksheet
- College and Scholarship Application Organizer
Work on submitting your applications and following up to make sure they are complete! Start learning about financial aid and scholarship options.
- Explore Higher Education Options
- Admissions Policies & Tests
- College Application Worksheet
- Completing the FAFSA Flowchart
- I Applied, Now What?
Financial Aid and Scholarship Information
- About Financial Aid
- Estimate your eligibility for financial aid
- Federal Student Aid - Everything you need to know about the FAFSA
- Scholarships offered by Minnesota Institutions
- Useful Online Resources