School Licensure & Registration
Institution Registration and Licensure
The Office of Higher Education provides consumer protection for students and prospective students. Two state laws require private and out-of-state public postsecondary educational institutions to meet state standards to operate legally in Minnesota.
Private and out-of-state public institutions should review the standards and application procedures to determine their legal obligations before advertising or offering postsecondary education in Minnesota.
Which Institutions Must Be Licensed?
Private Career School Licensure is required for most private schools and training firms that offer occupational programs below the associate level in Minnesota.
- If you are a private institution and you offer occupational programs below the associate level in Minnesota, please proceed to Private Career School Licensure to determine whether you are required to obtain licensure prior to advertising or offering training programs in Minnesota.
- If you are a student or former student at a licensed institution in Minnesota and have a complaint, please visit Complaints About Private Colleges and Career Schools on the consumer information page.
Which Institutions Must Register?
Degree-Granting Institutional Registration is required for most postsecondary institutions that are:
- private institutions in Minnesota that grant degrees at the associate level or above
- out-of-state public institutions that offer distance programs at the associate level or above to Minnesota residents
- grant degrees exclusively at the associate level or above or
- A business that offers career training and uses the terms “academy”, “college”, “institute”, or “university” in its name.
If you are a private institution or an out-of-state public institution and you offer degree programs at the associate level or above or use “academy,” “college,” “institute,” or “university” in your name, please proceed to Degree-Granting Institutional Registration to determine whether you are required to obtain registration prior to advertising or offering postsecondary education in Minnesota or online to Minnesota residents.
If you are a student or former student at a registered institution in Minnesota and have complaint, please visit Complaints About Private Colleges and Career Schools on the consumer information page.
- Recommendations to Revise the Regulation of Private Postsecondary Institutions
- Student Rights and Responsibilities at Graduate For-Profit Colleges and Universities in Minnesota
- For-Profit Postsecondary Institutions: A Review of Selected Institutions in Minnesota for Undergraduates
- Why College?
- Explore Your Interests & Careers
- Prepare at School
- Summer Academic Enrichment Program
- Earn College Credit in High School
- Recommended High School Classes & Graduation Requirements
- Advice for Students with Disabilities
- Succeed as an Adult Student
- Useful College Prep Resources
- Minnesota Goes to College!
- Get Ready Program Overview
- College Planning Presentation Information
- College Navigator Presentation Request Form
- Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program Outreach
- Competitive Grant Programs
- Dual Training Grant
- Public Engagement Calls
- "Life After Now" Podcast
- Certified Nursing Assistant Training
- Direct Admissions Minnesota
- Collecting Data from Minnesota Postsecondary Institutions
- Campus Financial Aid Administrator Resources
- Statewide Financial Aid Conference
- Campus Student Enrollment Reporting Resources
- Ordering Materials for Your Students
- Supplementing Your College Counseling
- Early Awareness Efforts
- Student Homelessness in Higher Education Resources
- Shared Library Resources
- MN FAFSA Tracker
- Campus Sexual Violence Prevention and Response
- Statewide FAFSA Filing Goal
- Financial Aid Estimator
- Online Applications
- About Financial Aid
- What Does College Cost?
- Tips for Lowering the Cost of Higher Education
- Institutional Payments
- Financial Aid You Don't Repay
- Financial Aid You Must Repay (Student Loans)
- Financial Aid You Earn
- Military Service Education Benefits
- Reduced Out-of-State Tuition Options
- Education Tax Benefits
- New Video Demystifies Paying for College
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Useful Online Resources
- Ready, Set, FAFSA!
- Data Maps and Infographics
- Educational Attainment Goal 2025
- Minnesota Measures
- Minnesota P-20 Statewide Longitudinal Education Data System
- College Readiness & Participation Data
- Student Enrollment Data
- Degrees, Graduation Rates, Attainment & Outcomes
- Financial Aid Data & Trends
- Tuition & Fees Data
- Student Health and Safety
- Institution and Data Search
- Transfer Students
- Research Reports
- A-Z Data Table Index